Monday, March 15, 2010

Bonjour Paris et Sensation White!!!


Dearest readers, allow me to preface this entry with an apology for my absence. I have been rather busy with my travels and academic workload, but nonetheless here I am now ready to indulge you in my adventures.

Monday of last week I received a facebook message from my friend Zach, the one I met up with in Barcelona, telling me he wanted to meet in Belgium for Sensation White. Sensation White is the world’s largest traveling party that fills arenas with 18,000 people clad in purely white clothing all gathering to dance from the hours of 10 pm to 6 am.

My cheapest traveling option was to fly into Paris and take a train to Belgium, and considering I had a friend, Chaitra, studying in Paris I figured I would take the opportunity to venture to the City of Love. The morning of my flight I got on the 30 minute metro ride only to be accompanied by hands down the smelliest man I have ever encountered. His hair was longer than mine with curls and dreads that cascaded down his back and his stench made me quiver at each breath I took. Literally I was pressed up so hard against the window inching away from his rankness as much as possible.

My flight was on Wizz Air, and let me tell you, this airlines surely trades convenience for prices. The flight was 30 dollars but you land in the boonies of France and have to take an hour and a half bus ride of which they drop you off at the opposite end of Paris from anything of recognition. Being absolutely alone, and being directionally challenged, I was set on arriving to Chaitra’s house without getting severely lost. My first stop was into a Paris pharmacy to find my beloved dry shampoo, which is a Paris brand, that was successfully purchased for $20 less than I would have at Sephora in the states. My next stop was to the metro. For some reason the Parisians thought it would be a good idea to only have one single ticket stand in the entire metro stop and the line took me over 24 minutes to get my ticket. After arriving in Chaitra’s adorable apartment I was ready to grub. We went to a nice little cafĂ© outside of her place where I ordered some delectable French onion soup and a bottle of red vino. Our waiter was a strange one, kept rambling in angry French and looking over my shoulder at every bite I took. Worse than the creepo waiter was the old man with missing dentures staring, winking, and miming at me to leave my numero de telephone for him…very interesting lunch.

We went out that night to a club titled Le Cab, very swanky place indeed. Our entry was 20 euros which made my jaw drop considering I live in Praha where entry fees do not exist for women and neither does the fricken euro. After we left the club Chaitra prepared for me one of the top five best Caprese salads in her apartment that I have ever ingested. Good work Chaitra, for you are a chef extraordinaire! I woke up in the morning to meet my new friend Natalie and Emma to head over to Belgium for the party we had all been waiting for. Natalie just so happens to be my Megan Kateff, my good friend from high school's friend from University of Michigan, while Emma is MELANIE AUGUST, my best friend’s friend from Univeristy of Wisconsin. Small world. (Hope you liked the shout out and will stop bugging me for it Melbourne).

When we arrived in Brussels we had 10 minutes to get on our next train to Genk, Belgium. The line for the down escalator was packed and we didn’t miss the train so with the swoop of my arm I motioned the ladies to sprint down the up, I wish more than almost anything I had this moment captured on tape because it was hysterical! Picture this, three girls with tons of baggage running down the up while over 50 people are waiting in line for the down escalator staring and yelling at us. We laughed for about 20 straight minutes once we made our next train.

Upon entering the arena for Sensation White your jaw drops to the floor. The stadium is filled with people of all ages, please note when I say all ages I mean: ALL AGES. I was dancing with a couple that was about 55 years old for a good portion of the night and they were loving life! You actually are not allowed to enter the door unless you are wearing a white top and bottom, and this party would not have been nearly as cool without it. From the top was a sea of white, everyone dancing their asses off to crazy techno, house, and mash up music. I was in heaven!

Europeans LOVE the Black Eyed Peas, its some weird obsession that you cannot escape no matter which part of the continent you are in, so obviously they played mixes of Boom Boom Pow and I Gotta Feeling that had the whole crowd rocking out. It was also Zach’s 21st birthday and it was a night to remember. If anyone has the opportunity to get over to a Sensation White I recommend it completely, one of the most fun nights of my life.

With two hours of sleep on the floor of a hotel room we headed back to Prague. The weather is still rather cold but with one midterm out of the way I am anxiously awaiting the visits from my cousin Alex Dalal from Berlin and my mommy and sissy from the States. J Life is good.

Here are some pictures of Sensation White:

CRAZY!!!!!

MADNESS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment